Chef Ranveer Brar (शेफ रणवीर ब्रार)
Ranveer Brar (born 8 February 1978) is an Indian chef, TV-show host/judge and food stylist.
Early life and education:
Ranveer Brar was born in Lucknow, India, into a family of landlords. When fairly young, he was inspired by the local kebab vendors in Lucknow to pursue his love of food, and was also a volunteer apprentice to one of them. Eventually he joined the Institute of Hotel Management, Lucknow, for a more formal initiation into the culinary world.
After completing his education at IHM, Brar began his career at the Taj Mahal Hotel. In 2001, at Fort Aguada Beach Resort in Goa, he opened “Morisco” a seafood restaurant, “il Camino” an Italian restaurant and “Fishtail” a small open air barbeque eatery. Back in Delhi in 2003, he was part of the newly opened Radisson Blu Hotel, Noida. He also became the youngest executive chef of his time in the country at the age of 25.
He then left for Boston, Massachusetts, United States, where he opened "Banq", a fine Franco-Asian restaurant which won numerous awards including the Best New Restaurant in the World by the magazine "Wallpaper".
Following this, he was appointed Corporate Chef for the One World Hospitality Group, one of the oldest restaurant groups in Boston. Back in India, he joined Novotel, Juhu Beach, Mumbai, as the Senior Executive Chef.
He has designed and created an exclusive menu for the upcoming MTV India chain of restaurants, launched by Viacom 18 consumer products wing. FLYP @ MTV, the first restaurant opened in Delhi in mid-December 2015.
Created and launched an 'artisan' line of meal kits in association with “Haute Chef” in December 2015.
He has also launched a premium patisserie called “English Vinglish” in Mumbai in spring 2016, which features fusion desserts and bakes.
Ranveer Brar has hosted various shows on the Living Foodz channel such as The Great Indian Rasoi Seasons 1 & 2, Breakfast Xpress, Snack Attack, Health Bhi Tatse Bhi, Award winning show HOME MADE, Ranveer's Cafe and a new show from 30 May 2016, titled Food Tripping along with Chef Gautam Mehrishi.
Other shows he has hosted include Seasons 1 and 2 of Thank God Its Fryday in association with Philips India on Zoom TV channel.
He was also one of the judges for season 4 of MasterChef India, which is based on the British competitive cooking game show, MasterChef, alongside fellow chefs Sanjeev Kapoor and Vikas Khanna.
Awards, associations and recognition:
- Acknowledged by the James Beard Foundation, New York for his outstanding contribution.
- Received recognition for his contribution to various cuisines by several institutions such as AIWF, AICA, as also the Mayor of Boston. In addition he has also represented India at the WPF.
- Featured among the top 50 chefs in the Indian Culinary Forum book.
- Handled banquets at the Rashtrapati Bhawan and at the Prime Minister’s residence, plus he cooked for several Hollywood and Bollywood celebrities, both in the US and India.
- Associated with the food editorial panel of DNA Mumbai and regularly contributes an article every Saturday.
- Featured in the book Celebrated Chefs of India by Marryam H Reshii.
- Appointed Brand Ambassador for SunGold Kiwifruit in India marketed by Zespri International - June 2015
- Appointed Brand Ambassador for Assocom Institute of Technology and Management(AIBTM) -June 2015
- Appointed first-ever Brand Ambassador for Philips India Kitchen Appliances - July 2015
- Appointed Brand Ambassador for Kellog India Pvt Ltd
- Appointed Brand Ambassador for Go Cheese India (Oct 2015)
- First Indian Brand Ambassador for Italy's Bertolli Olive oil
- Appointed 'Brand Friend' for Swiss Army Knives pioneer Victorinox